An ATA carnet is a document that lets goods enter and exit another country before getting to their final destination. It’s almost like a passport for merchandise, but there are criteria for the type of goods which can go on the carnet. If your business is shipping a lot of goods, you should consider applying for the carnet online, which lets you upload your information and manage your carnet anywhere you have internet access.
Items which can go on the carnet:
- Items which are entering the country temporarily and then being shipped to another country for use
- Shipments which stay in the foreign country, such as:
- Commercial samples
- Professional equipment
- Display items for trade shows or event
Items which cannot go on the carnet:
- Items which might be consumed in the country
- Items which will be given away or used while in country
- Personal items
- Items which will undergo transformation while in country, like manufacturing parts
With your carnet online application, you will be given the opportunity to go through each aspect of the carnet and enter the correct information. The carnet offers many benefits over traditional customs documents because it is applied for before shipping goods, which means there are no customs surprises. You avoid certain taxes and duties. The carnet is valid for up to one year. It just makes sense to check it out for your company.